Things

The Duncan’s are Moving!

CapitolHill-1

Sometimes God throws a huge curve ball right at you.  He takes your 5 year plan, holds it to your nose and asks you if you are willing to live in obedience to Him.  After you tell Him yes, he takes your so-called plan and he tears it up and throws it in the wind, and lays down a new plan, and says, “Here, this one is MY plan.”

I have found that living by faith can seem like driving a winding road through the mountains on the darkest night. All you can see is the next 4 feet of road that is lit up by your brights, while to the side of you, just inches away, is a cliff.  You know the road right ahead is safe, but the rest of the road remains unseen.  For the four feet in front of you, you are good, and after those four are traveled, you know the next four are good too.  But, the road 5 miles ahead… yea, you don’t know what that looks like, but you keep driving…because…faith.

Faith, is taking the small steps one at a time and trusting the long road to Jesus.

I had a five-year plan.  It was a good plan; a safe one.  The Lord asked me to release that and let Him lead.

So, I did.

Denver came home 4 weeks ago and told me that he was offered a job in Washington D.C.  I told him that I had a plan, and Washington D.C. was not in this said plan.  Then, he said he had been reading Joshua, and the Lord was commissioning the Israelites to cross the Jordan and take the promised land.  And, I told him that God was talking to the Israelites and not to Denver Duncan…. And, the “Promised Land” was definitely NOT Washington D.C.  As soon as he told me that he felt a confirmed call, I knew I had better begin packing.

After I cried a few tears in the car, I called my friend Chandra.  The friend who is dear enough to tell me the truth in almost every circumstance.   She prayed for me.  She prayed “Lord, we live our life with open hands, willing and ready to be obedient in all things…”  And then I cried some more.  As she said those words, I knew that this was the Lord’s commissioning, and my tight grip was what held me back.  I could not longer use “my plan” as an excuse to wave in my husband’s face as a reason to stay.  If I am a believer who chooses to live a life of radical obedience to the Lord, I must have faith that His ways are better than my own.  His plan far exceeds my own.

So.

We are moving.

We are moving to Washington D.C.

I never ever thought I would say those words, but here I am saying them one thousand times over, just to make myself believe them.

Denver took a job at Waterfront Church DC as the worship pastor.  Waterfront is a church plant in the Navy Yard district of D.C.  We will be living about 2 miles north in Capitol Hill, which is 15 blocks east of the capitol building.  (If you have any other specific question, feel free to text or message us! ) We are excited to live this adventure that God has commissioned us to do.  We feel honored that the Lord is choosing our little family to do His B I G work.

We are moving in March.  We are moving into the DC metro.  We recently took a trip to find a place to live, and I will be downsizing to a 2 bedroom town home. (Not the town homes pictured above…I’ll post more pics later)  I have to get rid of nearly half of our possessions… which thrills me and overwhelms me all in the same breath.  The three kids will share a room, which is convenient since they already do anyway.  (ha)

I will keep you all posted on future details, and it looks like I will have to blog more often since so many loved ones will be here in Oklahoma wanting to keep in touch!  A friend of mine is taking our beloved chickens and I hope to help with urban gardening at the kid’s school and the community gardens in D.C.  I’ve already eye-spyed some places to get my hands dirty!

We are beyond excited, and we are scared to death.  We are happy for adventure, but sad to be so far from dear family.  We are anxious to arrive, yet savoring everyday we have here.  Limbo is hard.  Pray for us, if you will.

Thank you friends!

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

21 Comments

• Reply Tony Barros

Praying for this faith filled journey-watch the Lord provide “as you go”! He always allowed his people to have the need so we can experience His Provision!

February 23, 2017 at 8:42 pm
  • Reply Marilyn Fine

Heather, I love your blog!!! It is so exciting to know and read all that the Lord is bringing on your path, and how you are working through it with His grace!!! It is going to be so exciting to see all the ways the Lord uses you, Denver, and your precious family in DC. Friends of ours from another country are faced with a move from their country. I shared your blog with them and it was a huge blessing to them as they read how you all are navigating
    through your move. They are facing a difficult huge move, and desiring too “not hold things so tightly in their hands that God has to pry their fingers off of them”. We love you guys and are praying the Lord, “who is able to [carry out His purpose and] do super-abundantly more than all that we dare ask or think [infinitely beyond our greatest prayers, hopes, or dreams], according to His power that is at work within us” will bless you and keep you as you transition to DC! Love you Big!

February 18, 2017 at 12:25 am
    • Reply Heather Duncan

Thank you Marilyn!! You’re words are so encouraging. Thank you for your prayers too, we covet them and ask you to continue to pray for us when the Lord brings us to mind.

February 20, 2017 at 2:48 am
  • Reply Mary

Your new adventure will be great because God has great plans for you. I wish you and your family all the blessings that God has for you

February 17, 2017 at 2:29 am
    • Reply Heather Duncan

Thank yo Mary! We are so thankful for you, miss you!! 🙂

February 20, 2017 at 2:47 am
  • Reply Karen Kephart

God will bless your obedience and respect and honoring of your husband. I look forward to many more Duncan adventures, Heather. Blessings to you all as you find new places to spread your love for Jesus and your endearing humorous life perspectives! 🙂

February 16, 2017 at 6:46 pm
    • Reply Heather Duncan

Thank you Karen! I appreciate your encouragement more than you know! 🙂

February 16, 2017 at 7:47 pm
  • Reply jared brown

Heather, D.C. will be amazing! I used to travel there about once a year for training. I know it will be a big adjustment for your entire family, but what an amazing city for you to raise your children in. D.C. is such a melting pot of different cultures, I always meet new people every time I travel up there. There are so many great museums, an incredible zoo, and nearly all of them are free. The metro makes it easy to get anywhere you need to go in the city, and you can always hop on an Amtrak and travel just about anywhere on the East Coast for much less than a plane ticket.

February 16, 2017 at 1:31 pm
    • Reply Heather Duncan

That’s awesome Jared! Yes, we are excited to see what DC and the east coast have to offer, especially for our kiddos. It will be a lifestyle adjustment for sure, but a fun one. Thanks!

February 16, 2017 at 7:48 pm
  • Reply Lori Davis

We may come visit you in your new church, what a great adventure for your family! God’s will is always the best, even if it is scary!! Prayers to your sweet family from the Davis family!

February 16, 2017 at 4:18 am
    • Reply Heather Duncan

Lori!! We have talked several times about how neat it is that you all are out that way too!! You all need to come down and check out the church, just for fun, and to see a familiar face! It’s located in the Navy Yard. Check out the website, the link is in the post. We will have to meet up, you can fill us in on what you’ve learned so far.

February 16, 2017 at 7:50 pm
  • Reply Diana Espinoza

So excited for you and your family! You have been a blessing to know and have encouraged me do so much when I lost my job and reassured me God had a plan for me. I have missed not seeing you in church and know God has BIG plans for all of you! Please continuing blogging it always lifts my spirits!

February 16, 2017 at 4:13 am
    • Reply Heather Duncan

Thank you Diana! We miss seeing you too!! Its always nice to have encouragement to spur us on in times of uncertainty. Big Hugs, and hang in there, spring break is around the corner. 🙂

February 16, 2017 at 7:51 pm
  • Reply Golda Duncan

I loved and enjoyed many things in this blog, one of which was, ” I called my friend, Chandra”.

February 16, 2017 at 4:12 am
  • Reply Gayla Westbrook

So exciting, and nerve racking all at the same time. This will be a great, learning, growing, blessed chapter for the Duncan family.

February 16, 2017 at 4:06 am
    • Reply Heather Duncan

Thank you so much Gayla! We miss your family! Prayers and Hugs!

February 16, 2017 at 7:52 pm
  • Reply Kelly King (@kellydking)

As I wrote earlier, I am right there with you. My plan was to be in OKC and at the BGCO until I retired. When God started working on my heart to move to Nashville, I just kept getting the message, “You told me that wherever I led, you would follow.” I wanted to argue so hard that I meant it, but it would have been a lot easier in my 20s–not at this point in my life! I’m glad that God is still stretching me beyond my comfort zone and pushing me to walk in faith in new ways. You and Duncan are going to be amazing in D.C. and I’m thrilled to see how the Lord will use your family. Keep on blogging girl!

February 16, 2017 at 4:01 am
    • Reply Heather Duncan

It’s funny how God laughs at our plans, especially when He knows what is in store. He allows us to think we have things all lined out, but really He is sitting on something so much more than we could conjure up. I am hoping our paths cross soon!! Big hugs and I admire your obedience and willingness to allow God to use you, even in this season of life. You’re amazing!!

February 16, 2017 at 7:53 pm
  • Reply Carol

Blessings! Scary blessings! Are mom and dad still there?

February 16, 2017 at 3:44 am
    • Reply Heather Duncan

Carol! Thank you! Yes, my mom and dad are still stationed there for right now. My mom is scheduled to go to training in June for 10 months, so my dad will be in DC for us while she is in training.

February 16, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Thoughts welcome, please share.